Your Goods Need to Be Insured When You Move Home

Home Moving Insurance Header

When you are moving home, one of the most important things that you should do is to insure all your goods and belongings against loss or damage. You may have contents insurance for your goods, but this may not cover damage in transit, or even if it does may not cover the full value. This is certainly something that you need to check, and if your goods are not covered you will need a one-off home moving insurance.

Unfortunately, many people are of the mistaken belief that the removals company is responsible for covering your goods in transit, but this is not necessarily the case. Certainly, it is possible that they may be held responsible if they are negligent, or if one of their employees is negligent, but even so, they may not carry sufficient insurance to cover expensive items such as works of art, antique furniture, and so on. In any case, the removals company cannot be expected to know the value of your goods.

The simple fact is that when you move home and your goods are all in the hands of a third party, anything at all can happen. Suppose the removal van is involved in a serious accident that is not the fault of the driver? Your belongings could be scattered all over the road and get smashed to pieces. That is hardly the fault of the removal company and they cannot be held responsible for that. You could be moving across the country, or you might only be moving a mile or two, but accidents can happen anywhere.

Even if an accident was the fault of another driver, he or she may not have sufficient cover. Furthermore, there is always the possibility of acts of God. We have seen only very recently, with Storm Dennis, vehicles smashed by large trees that have been blown down.

Getting house moving insurance is a good practice and it is not very expensive. It is far better to be insured, even if you are only moving a short distance. We can arrange the cover for you and give you peace of mind.