At The Insurance Broker, We’ll see you Get the right Insurance for Moving Abroad

moving overseas

When you are moving abroad, even if “abroad” is only to France or Ireland, there are lots of things to take into account. This isn’t like having all your goods packed into a lorry and moved from Manchester to Sheffield. Certainly, all your goods do need to be packed, and the first part of the journey will be by road, but after that thing become very different.

One of the most important things when you are moving abroad is making certain that all your possessions are covered by insurance, and by that we mean the right sort of insurance. Here at The Insurance Broker, we can make certain that you are covered for everything that you need to be covered for.

However, there are a lot of other things that need to be considered too. One is that, unless you have to move in a very great hurry, sea freight is a lot less expensive than air freight. In fact, according to the World Bank, it is between 12 – 16 times cheaper! ( Yes, it is slower, but if you plan ahead you will save a lot of money. There is also a massive difference in the carbon footprint, air freight churning out over 40 times more CO2 per mile than sea freight.

You really do need to plan well ahead if you possibly can, otherwise you will either pay for air freight or arrive in your destination country a long time before your belongings catch up with you.

Of course, in most cases when moving abroad, while you may send your belongings by sea, you will probably want to fly. Did you know that there are good times and bad times to buy your tickets if you want to get the best prices?

According to Skyscanner ( the best day on which to book tickets with an airline is Sunday, while the worst is Wednesday. For short-haul flights you should buy your tickets seven weeks in advance, while for long-haul flights you need to purchase 18 weeks in advance. Yes, really!

When you look at sea freight to ship your belongings, you’ll find that you can either book a full container of 20’ or 40’ length, or you can share a container with other people. These are known as FCL (Full Container Load) or LCL (Less than Container Load). If you only have a small amount of stuff to ship, then LCL will be cheaper. However, if you have more than about 15 cubic metres of cargo you are better off with FCL. This is the case even if you don’t fill the container. It sounds crazy, but the fact is that the cost per cubic metre in LCL is between two and three times greater than FCL.

Now another thing that is difficult but really needs to be done is to sort out what you are going to take with you and what you should leave behind. In most households we all have lots of “stuff” that we don’t actually need, and when it comes to shipping overseas you have to be brutal about it. Take the word of this writer who once moved home in the UK to a home with a double garage and put a lot of “stuff” in one side of it. Six months later, I hired a skip (and filled it) in order to get rid of stuff I had paid the removal firm to move!!

So take no prisoners. Only ship to your new home what you really need to keep, and either give away, sell, or dump the rest of it.

When shipping your goods, you also need to know what is allowed into the destination country. Some countries don’t allow very strange things, such as Nigeria which won’t allow ballpoint pens.

Of course, you will need to insure the goods that you are shipping overseas, and here at The Insurance Broker we can help you with all the different types of insurance that are available, such as All Risk, Total Loss, Named Perils, Single Coverage, and more. We will ensure that you get the cover that is right for your belongings.